|Bathurst Base Hospital
|02 6339 5311
Type of Unit
ICU / HDU / CCU.
( Level 2 )
Our unit is a combined Intensive Care, High Dependency and Coronary Care Unit, that has seven (7) beds in the main unit and four (4) stepdown monitored beds located in the Medical Ward. We offer cardiac monitoring, invasive and non-invasive ventilator (breathing) support, post-operative care, cardiac care such as heart rhythm management and care following heart attack.
Patients who are admitted and require specialised care and services such as burns, brain (neuro), surgery, spinal management and heart (cardiac) surgery will be transferred to another hospital for ongoing specialised care.
Visiting Hours are 8am to 8pm with a rest period between 1pm and 3pm.
The unit provides intensive care, high dependency and coronary care services to Bathurst and surrounding areas. Patients that require a higher level of care than can be provided at Bathurst Health Service are transferred to either Sydney or Orange.
The Unit Director is a senior anaesthetist, who is supported by other anaesthetists, physicians, surgeons on an ‘on-call' basis. They can be contacted by telephone when not in the Unit. Every patient admitted to the unit is under a Specialist Doctor. A Career Medical Officer (CMO) supports the unit as required Monday-Friday 8am - 4pm hrs.
Junior Medical Officers (Residents and Registrars) attached to the specialist teams visit the unit regularly to manage patients and are "on-call" after hours.
The unit is supported by a physiotherapist, dietician, speech pathologist, pharmacist, social worker, Aboriginal Liason Officer and Pastoral Care on an "as needs" basis.
The Nurse Unit Manager works from 7am to 3pm. We have a team of highly qualified nurses to care for the patients on a day-to-day basis.
There are three (3) Registered Nurses on each shift. Depending on the sickness of each patient, the nurses will care for 1 to 3 patients for their shift. Nurses are supported by a Clinical Nurse Educator and a Clinical Nurse Consultant.
Other Hospital Services.
General medicine and surgery, mental health, maternity, gynaecology, paediatrics, rehabilitation, diagnostic services, cancer care, renal dialysis and palliative care. The hospital has an emergency department.
- FINDING THE ICU - Located on Level 2, next to the Emergency Department
- EXPECTATIONS OF VISITORS - Relatives & close friends only (Keep visits brief; check with staff before bringing in food and drinks for patients).
- USE OF MOBILE PHONES - check with nursing staff.
- SUPPORT SERVICES (e.g. Social Worker/Pastoral Care) - Available
- PATIENT LIAISON OFFICER - Aboriginal Liaison Officer Available
- WAITING ROOM - Available outside Intensive Care
- VISITOR ACCOMMODATION - Limited availability - arranged through Social Worker
- BRINGING FLOWERS TO PATIENTS - Preferably not
- HOSPITAL SHOP/CANTEEN - In main foyer of the hospital.
- ATM - level 2 next to the Emergency Department waiting area.
- PHONES - Bedside phones (phone card available for out going phone calls)
- PARKING - On site parking is available.
How To Get To Bathurst Base Hospital
Link to relevant hospital page on NSW Health internet page: http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/hospitals/detail.asp
A map of the hospitals's location is below. A more detailed map can be found at the Whereis Online WebSite.
Bathurst Base ICU Version 2 March 2009