Questions to ask on the first Visit
1. Why is my loved one in intensive care / high dependency?
2. What are the treatment options?
3. How long will they be in the ICU?
4. Why are they on the breathing machine (ventilator)?
5. How many visitors can visit at the same time?
6. How long can I/we stay at the bedside?
7. What are the visiting arrangements?
8. Can a social worker be organised to assist me?
9. Should I call family who are living a long way away?
10. If your understanding of English is limited ask, “Can you organise an interpreter for me?
Questions to ask each time you visit
1. How has my loved one’s condition changed?
2. What has happened today?
3. What is today’s plan?
4. How long should I stay?
Questions to ask during an interview with the medical staff
1. Can you explain in non-medical terms what is wrong with my loved one?
2. What is the prognosis or outcome?
3. What are the treatment options?
4. What does ‘do everything’ mean?
5. What will happen if this current treatment doesn’t work?
6. If my loved one gets better how long before they return to their normal life?
7. When will I speak to you again?
Questions to ask of the nurse caring for you loved one
1. Could you explain to me what the doctor has said?
2. Is my loved one in pain?
3. How do they eat?
4. How do they go to the toilet?
5. Won’t they be cold?
6. What can I do for my loved one?
Questions to ask yourself
1. Who can help me through this difficult time?
2. What are the important things that need to be done at home?
3. What are the realistic visiting hours I can sustain